In my earlier post I wrote about the man-made lakes found in Sivasagar..You can read it Here.
In this post as promised I will take you through the Historical Temples and Monuments that are present in Sivasagar,These Temples and Monuments were mostly built during 18th Century when Sivasagar used to be Ahom’s Kingdom..These Temples and Monuments are still in good shape and a treat to watch.. 😀
So,Let’s Check out the Temples Found in Sivasagar that are worthy to watch–
- Shiva Dol–The most prominent and the sacred temple of all,dedicated to Lord Shiva and built on the banks of Borpukhuri,rising to a height of 104 feet (32 m), it encircles an area of 195 feet (59 m). It is thronged by devotees during the festival of Shivratri.
- Vishnu Dol–Another prominent and beautifully built temple along the Banks of Borpukhuri is the Vishnu Dol dedicated to Lord Vishnu standing tall for the last 3 centuries.During the month of “Bhadra” according to hindu calendar,the Temple see large number of visitors.
- Devi Dol–The Third temple on the banks of Borpukhuri is the Devi Dol dedicated to Goddess Durga,The most important festival celebrated in this temple is Durga Puja and Kali Puja
- Joy Dol–Built on the Banks of Largest Man-Made lake in India,this temple is a beautifully carved and dedicated Lord Vishnu,Goddess Durga and Lord Shiva.It is mainly devoted to Lord Vishnu and his many incarnations.The month of Bhadra (as per the Hindu calendar) is very special for this temple. Naam-kirtans and prayers are held throughout the month, to honor Lord Vishnu. This is, in fact, the best month to visit the place.
All these temples are beautifully carved and decorated with numerous terracotta images on it’s wall.This carries the brilliance of the artists of Assam at that time.And the designs and architecture of these temples provide a treat to visitors eyes.
Now Lets talk about the Ahom Monuments that are found in Sivasagar–
- Ranghar–A two storied building that served the purpose of Amphitheater for the Ahom Kings and Nobles,It was generally used as pavilion to see sports such as Bullfight during Rongali Bihu.
- Kareng Ghar–It is one of the most prominent Architecture of Ahoms,The Kareng Ghar,together with its below-ground counterpart the Talatal Ghar,is also the largest of all Ahom monuments.It is a four storied building,it served as the royal House for the Ahom Kings,Nobles.
- Talatal Ghar–It is 3 storied building below the ground and with its above counter-part,Kareng Ghar it forms the Royal House,initially Talatal Ghar was build as Army Base.The Talatal Ghar had two secret underground tunnels. One, about 3 kilometres in length,connected the Talatal Ghar to the Dikhow River,while the other,16 kilometres long,led to the Garhgaon Palace and was used as an escape route in case of an enemy attack.
- Charaideo–With 42 tombs of the Ahom Kings and Queens,in the Charaideo hillocks of Assam,it generally gives the feeling of Egypt Pyramids.The excellent architectural skills and craftsmanship of the masons and architects of medieval Assam are revealed in the numerous pillars and burial sites of this historical place.Charaideo was the first capital of the Ahom kings, built by King Sukapha,the founder of the Ahom Dynasty in Assam.
- Sivasagar Tai Museum–Located at the heart of Sibsagar Town,this museum offers the visitors with collections of Antiques of Ahom Era,The Museum is composed of Manuscripts,rare metals,bamboo items and antiques of Ahoms.
- Ajanpir Dargah–This Dargah was built in the memories of Ajan Pir,Ajan Pir was the first Muslim saint to compose “Zikir”(a completely unique genre of religious songs) in Assamese Language (160 Nos. Approx.). On the day of the “URUS” thousand of devotees gather here to pay homage to the memories of this great Muslim reformer.This Dargah is visited by many people of all religion and is considered to be very sacred.
- Bird Watch Towers–As the name suggest this tower is to watch Beautiful Migratory Birds during winter season and the tower is equipped with sophisticated telescope and other equipment to make it more delightful for the bird Watchers.
Apart from this don’t forget to visit The Beautiful Tea Gardens in and around Sivasagar as I still remember my morning walks through the Tea gardens and it surely give the feeling of being close to nature.. 😀
To Reach Sivasagar–One can reach Sivasagar from Guwahati by Bus,Train or Flight.The nearest cities are Jorhat and Dibrugarh,they are also connected by Trains and Flights from Kolkata.
For More Information Visit–Online Sivasagar